Silver Bluff Missionary Baptist Church & Schoolhouse

Map Location – #9 (See map below)

360 Old Jackson Highway, Jackson, SC 29831

silverbluffchurchThis church, one of the oldest black Baptist churches in America, grew out of regular worship services held as early as the 1750s at Silver Bluff, the plantation of Indian trader George Galphin. At first a non-denominational congregation with white, black and Native American members, it was formally organized as Silver Bluff Baptist Church in 1775 with the Rev. Watt Palmer as its first preacher. The church moved from its original site in 1815, again in the 1840s and to the present site in 1866 with a large frame sanctuary built in 1873. This sanctuary was covered in brick in 1920, later demolished and the present church built in 1948.

 

 

8th Annual Beech Island Tour Map