Map Location – #8 (See map below)
144 Old Jackson Highway, Beech Island, SC 29842
Headquarters of the Beech Island Historical Society, this brick country store building and the recently renovated brick warehouse/barn was built in the 1880s by Beech Island businessman Luther Hankinson. Constructed of bricks made at his own brick factory in Hamburg, SC, the original store structure consisted of one large room with a restaurant added to the right side and a restroom to the left. After Hankinson died in 1933, his heirs sold the property and the two buildings to George McElmurray, and McElmurray added a kitchen, bedroom and porch and lived there and operated a cotton gin nearby. McElmurray raised the height of the warehouse and used it for the storage of cotton seed. In 1991, McElmurray’s heirs donated the buildings and the acre of land to the Beech Island Historical Society. Renovations to the old store/home began soon after and were completed in 1996. In May 2008, renovations were completed on the barn which is now open as the Beech Island Agricultural Museum and Gift Shop.