Category Archives: Tour Locations

Locations of all the Historic Places in Beech Island, SC. This list will change from year to year.

Risher Cabin And Upper Pond

Map Location – #13 (See map below) Owned by The Silver Bluff Audubon Center Kathwood Road, Jackson, SC 29831 Located on 50 acres of pine forests and two ponds, this old clubhouse’s main part was at least 50 years old when Ellenton-Jackson resident Eldon Risher bought it in 1957. The property included the old clubhouse […]

Silver Bluff Audubon Center & Sanctuary

Map Location – #12 (See map below) 4542 Silver Bluff Road, Jackson, SC 29831 This 3,200-acre wildlife sanctuary and environmental education center, located on the Savannah River at historic Silver Bluff, has a long history of use, including Native American encampments, exploration by Spanish conquistadors, Irishman George Galphin’s 18th Century trading post where an important […]

First Baptist Church of Beech Island

Map Location – #2 (See map below) 170 Church Road, Beech Island, SC 29842 Organized Jan. 21, 1832, and dedicated September 1832 as the Beech Island Baptist Church, this two-story, Greek-Revival structure predates the Civil War. This church was constructed with an upstairs slave gallery that wrapped around three sides of the sanctuary and could […]

All Saints Episcopal Church

Map Location – #1 (See map below) 1595 Williston Highway (SC Hwy 278), Beech Island, SC 29842 Organized in 1827 by evangelist N.H. Hoyt of Vermont as the Beech Island Presbyterian Church, this Greek-Revival antebellum church was built in 1831 with the help of slave labor borrowed from neighboring plantations. Woodrow Wilson, 28th President of […]

Redcliffe Plantation State Historic Site

Map Location – #3 (See map below) 181 Redcliffe Road, Beech Island, SC 29842 This four-story Greek-Revival plantation home was constructed in 1859 by Augusta, Ga., contractor William Goodrich for SC Gov. James Henry Hammond. The mansion is the centerpiece of a 400-acre country estate that was originally supported by at least three working plantations […]

Beech Island Historical Society Visitors Center & Barn

Map Location – #8 (See map below) 144 Old Jackson Highway, Beech Island, SC 29842 Headquarters of the Beech Island Historical Society, this brick country store building and the recently renovated brick warehouse/barn was built in the 1880s by Beech Island businessman Luther Hankinson. Constructed of bricks made at his own brick factory in Hamburg, SC, […]

Silver Bluff Missionary Baptist Church & Schoolhouse

Map Location – #9 (See map below) 360 Old Jackson Highway, Jackson, SC 29831 This church, one of the oldest black Baptist churches in America, grew out of regular worship services held as early as the 1750s at Silver Bluff, the plantation of Indian trader George Galphin. At first a non-denominational congregation with white, black and […]

Meyer Brothers’ Swiss Settlers’ Farm & Home Site

Map Location – #10 (See map below) (New Windsor Excavation) Forrest Drive, Jackson, SC 29831 This land was granted in 1736 to Leonard, Ulrich and Michael Meyer, settlers who came to live in New Windsor Township (Beech Island) with a group of Swiss Protestants from Canton Appenzell in 1737. The Meyer family occupied this site until […]

Zubly Cemetery

Map Location – #11 (See map below) Forrest Drive, Jackson, SC 29831 The oldest established cemetery in Beech Island, Zubly Cemetery is the final resting place of David Zubly, Jr. (1738-1790) and his wife, Ann Meyer (1744-1795), the daughter of Ulrich Meyer. Their newly marked graves are located in the vacant space in the middle of […]